Blue whale South Africa bitten in Half 2020 in water and underwater creatures are crucial for maintaining a good life on Earth. As a result of these species, our ecosystem remains stable. But unfortunately, many of these magnificent species are in danger of extinction. You can see an example of this tremendous loss here.
What’s the story of the Blue Whale?
On the coast of South Africa, a blue whale was found a bit in half in 2021. This incident spread among people like fire, and everyone felt sad about this incident. A group of fishermen caught the event on camera and provided authorities with valuable information about the incident. Losing such a vast and endangered creature breaks our hearts, especially when we don’t know why. There are multiple points of view about this incident. Let’s discuss them one by one.
Different theories about the blue whale being bitten in the half incident
Theory 01 – Hit by a boat
Some people believe that the blue whale was killed by a large boat and then bitten in half by a white shark. A father and his son confirmed the presence of a white shark too. They both were in their kayak when they saw the shark, and the shark also damaged their kayak.
Theory 02 – Lightning strikes
Lightning strikes severely injure and even kill blue whales. If lightning strikes a blue whale, it can become disoriented and vulnerable to predators. A large predator like a shark can exploit the situation and attack the weakened whale. The shark could bite the whale in half as it tries to consume its prey. It’s crucial to note that blue whales are an endangered species, and there are only a few hundred remaining worldwide. Therefore, it’s critical to understand the potential threats to their survival, such as lightning strikes and predation, to protect and conserve these magnificent creatures.
Theory 03 – Attacked by Sperm whales
Sperm whales have a reputation for attacking and killing blue whales. Sperm whales are famous for their strong and sharp teeth. They use their large teeth to bite into the whale’s body and tear it apart. It would explain why the blue whale was a bit in half.
Theory 04 – Entangled in a net
Researchers believe that a fishing net entangled the blue whale, and in its attempt to break free, it cut itself in half.
Theory 05 – Already dead when bit into half.
The blue whale may have died before being discovered in two pieces. In such cases, determining the cause of death can be challenging, and experts may be unable to identify it. The whale may have died naturally due to age, disease, or other factors. A proper examination is necessary to confirm the cause of death.
The most accepted theory about the blue whale
According to the Atlantic white shark conservancy, the bites were made on the dead body. This research confirmed one thing, the edges didn’t cause death. Even though the cause of the whale’s death is still unknown, the most accepted theory is that a white shark attacked it.
What are the consequences of this event?
Whatever the cause, this is a tragic event. Losing even blue whales is a blow to the population. Hopefully, this incident will help raise awareness about the importance of protecting these majestic creatures by considering the following points.
- We lost one of our endangered specie.
- The blue whale is a protected species and a vital ecosystem part. Hence this incident affected the ecosystem and blue whale population badly.
- They are at the top of the food chain, so losing even a single whale disturbed the whole chain.
- It resulted in disturbing the environment of the coast for tourists.
- It costs high labor to clean up the coast.
- However, this incident encouraged people to become aware of the protection of endangered species.
What can prevent something like this from happening again to a blue whale?
There are some valuable tips and instructions that every person should know and practice.
- There could be more boat patrols which blue whales are known to frequent. It would allow the whale to be spotted sooner if it was in trouble.
- Another way is for the whale to be equipped with a tracking device. It would allow rescuers to locate the whale quickly if it was distressed.
- There should be more public awareness of the dangers that blue whales face. It would help people to be more cautious around them and report any sightings of distressed whales.
- In the future, it is essential to be more careful when setting fishing nets. The whale should be freed as soon as possible if it becomes entangled. It is also vital to monitor whales for signs of entanglement.
- Try to reduce the amount of plastic pollution in our oceans.
- It is also necessary for us to cooperate with the organizations that care for injured and stranded whales day and night.
The Mystery of the Blue Fish is an incident that provides different messages. Blue whale attacks are tragic reminders of the danger this majestic species faces. While we may not be able to prevent all tragedies, we can do our part to protect blue whales. We should follow the abovementioned points and share such awareness with a large audience. I hope I have succeeded in providing a sufficient amount of knowledge to all of you.